Agastache foeniculum, also known as Anise hyssop, is a beautiful herbaceous perennial that produces a profusion of violet-blue flowers on tall spikes above its anise-scented foliage.Product Characteristics:
• Height: 2-4 feet
• Spread: 1-2 feet
• Flower color: Violet-blue
• Flowering period: Summer to early fall
• Foliage: Green, anise-scented leaves
• Sunlight requirements: Full sun to partial shade
• Soil requirements: Well-draining, fertile soil with average moisture
• Hardiness Zone: 4Uses:
- As a stunning border plant in garden beds or borders
- As a fragrant addition to herb or pollinator gardens
- As a cut flower for indoor arrangements
- As an ingredient in teas or other culinary uses
- Attracting bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds to the garden
- Providing a fragrant scent to the garden and indoor arrangements
- Having a long flowering period, providing interest throughout the summer and early fall
- Being deer and rabbit resistant
Salvia nemorosa 'May Night' : This perennial produces spikes of dark purple flowers that contrast beautifully with the lavender-pink blooms of Agastache foeniculum. Both plants prefer well-drained soil and full sun, making them an ideal pairing in a sunny border.
Panicum virgatum : The upright habit and fine texture of switchgrass create a striking contrast with the rounded form and fuzzy foliage of Agastache foeniculum. In addition, switchgrass is drought-tolerant and provides winter interest in the garden, making it a functional and aesthetic companion plant.
Echinacea purpurea Magnus : The bold, cone-shaped flowers of purple coneflower provide a focal point in the garden and harmonize well with the airy blooms of Agastache foeniculum. Both plants are drought-tolerant and attract pollinators, making them a beneficial pairing for the garden ecosystem.
- Plant in well-draining soil and water regularly, especially during dry spells
- Deadhead spent flowers to encourage more blooms
- Cut back in late fall or early spring to encourage new growth
- Divide every few years to prevent overcrowding
Agastache foeniculum is a versatile and beautiful addition to any garden. With its stunning violet-blue flowers, fragrant foliage, and numerous benefits to pollinators and gardeners alike, this perennial is sure to provide interest and enjoyment for years to come.